I don’t sculpt. I should say, I’ve never tried to sculpt before. A few weeks ago I decided I would start teaching myself. My cousin had been posting photos of her new pet hedgehog so I figured that was a good place to start.
|My first two stoneware hedgies|
These were my first two tries. Not so great but not so bad as to make me quit trying right then and there (my complaining would suggest otherwise). I took some advice from friends and kept going.
|Silly stoneware hedgehog with tiny body|
I don’t know what happened here. He came out with a big head and almost no body. Ok, let’s try some more.
|Two stoneware frogs and a hedgehog|
This little guy made me happy. His head to body ratio was better and I changed the shape of his mouth (also based on feedback from friends). After I made a couple of hedgehogs I played around and made those little frog heads.
|Start of a stoneware cat face|
After the hedgehogs and frogs, I decided to try a cat face. I made little silly-looking cat face charms a few years ago but decided it was time to up my game. I rolled out a base and then attached two balls of clay for ears and began shaping them.
|Cat face before eyes|
I kept adding and taking away clay, adding more and taking some away. Eventually I was left with a face with no eyes. I couldn’t decide how to make them.
|Cat faces with two different types of eyes|
Originally I made faces with the eyes on the left. They didn’t look right to me so I got more feedback and then made a change to one of them. I carved out the eye area and then rolled two little balls and pressed them in. I left the other one as-is just so I could see how the finished pieces would look.
|Some of the finished test pieces with oxide and glaze|
After all the pieces were sponged, bisque-fired, stained and glazed, I glaze-fired them and these were the end results. I’m happy with the hedgehogs and frogs but the cat faces need some further adjustments.
So my goal this week is to make some more in stoneware with the necessary adjustments and hopefully have a batch of them ready sometime next week. It’s been a fun (and at times frustrating) process trying to teach myself something as simple as these little animals. I’m excited though to see what else I’ll be able to create as I gain more experience.