Hey everyone! As promised, today’s post is another mini tutorial. Two weeks ago I shared the new wildflower molds I was working on. Are you ready to see the results?
Well… they all certainly were not as fabulous as I was hoping… the top four
molds worked fine and had good detail, but the bottom four were not so
great — some parts were either too deep or didn’t show at all. Yes, the
bottom two really are flowers, you just can’t see the impressions!
Time to make more molds! Today’s post was going to be
on the bead making process, but since I needed to make new molds I
thought I’d share that part with you first and then next time we’ll
start on the beads. So here goes…
(The molding compound I use is a 2 part 5 minute cold molding compound by Art Clay World USA)
Of course, I started with another trip out to my front yard and
the fields surrounding my house. Living in the country sure does have
its advantages! I picked more flowers than I needed — I wanted to have plenty
for experimenting. I also made sure to pick some leaves too.
of the main reasons half of my first molds didn’t turn out well is
because I was just blindly pressing flowers into the molding compound
and had no way of knowing until the mold cured how the flower would
So this time around, I took all the bulky flowers and
first lightly flattened them under a piece of glass. This allowed me to
see how the petals would be arranged in the mold, and to carefully put
them in place if needed before making the mold.
flattening under the glass I pressed the flowers and leaves into the
molding compound. When pressing the flowers in, I’m always careful to
take note of the thickness and bulkiness of the different flower parts.
For the mold above, I pressed the petals of the flowers deep into the
compound, while only lightly pressing the flower’s base — I want the main
focus to be the petals and a big bulky base pressed in to deeply can
easily ruin that effect.
You’ll get the best leaf impressions if you use the backs of the leaves where
the veins are most raised. I like to add a little extra contour to my
molds by pressing deeper on and AROUND the leaves, petals and anything I
really want to standout. Adding that extra contour gives the finished
casting a more raised look.
You can see that extra contouring here — around the leaves on the rectangular mold…
And here — I gave this mold a slight dished-out contour so the casting will be slightly domed.
Once all the molds cured it was time to try them out. Here are the results
of some testing — all the molds worked nicely this time around!
Alight, now it’s your turn! Go out, enjoy the fresh
air and pick some flowers… and make some molds! In two weeks I’ll show
you a few new beads you can make with your molds.